Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Saturday was Lawrence’s wedding. My first and most likely only traditional Malawian wedding, unless some of the students or faculty get married while I am here. The wedding itself was very different than an American catholic wedding. There was a lot of dancing, a lot more singing, and there was a camera crew that really had no respect for the church or the ceremony, they just wanted the best shots so they could get paid well. The wedding photographer and camera guys really bothered me. I was taking pictures and had a video camera rolling for Lawrence, but I was in a good spot off to the side, where I wasn’t in the way. The wedding photographer approached me at one point and said I should shoot me camera from the alter to get the best shot. I politely declined and said I was fine where I was, but I wanted to ask him if he thought this was a circus and if he had ever been inside a church before. The one shot that really got me was when Lawrence and Prisca knelt down in front of the alter to say a prayer, the guy walks up and laid down in front of them, in between them and the alter. The best part about it was the shirt the guy was wearing. His shirt was a group that was fighting for photographer’s rights. I just thought to myself how fitting a photographer activist who wants rights, but will just walk all over tradition and religion to get a good shot.

Overall I really did enjoy the wedding, except for the cameramen and the fact that it was in another language. Prisca, Lawrence’s bride looked very beautiful and both of her brides maids were absolutely stunning. Lawrence also looked very nice in his Tuxedo, his two groomsman were his cousin Grisham and Prisca’s brother Toco. The reception was unlike anything I have ever seen or been a part of. Traditional Malawian receptions are fundraisers for the bride and groom. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out why people were just throwing money at them consistently. I also partook in the festivities as I was called on stage to hold the money plate for a song. I forgot to mention, that all of this is done to music. It was fun and different for me, I have started to use the word interesting a lot and this experience was very interesting to say the least. Towards the end of the reception everyone got a beverage for the toast, I got an orange Fanta. I wanted a cocopina, which quite possibly could be the greatest fruit drink on the planet, but I had to settle for a fanta. I had planned on going back to the school after the reception, but it lasted almost 5 hours. So after everything was over myself and the wedding party went back to the food court for a much needed meal. I devoured a small pizza. It tasted so amazing! I realized at that moment, that when I get back to the states, I am going to eat for days. I guess the eating will come after the 2-3 days of sleep that I will need to get back to normal.

After the crazy weekend I finally got back to the school on Sunday a little after noon. It is nuts now, I can’t sleep past 8 am for the life of me. I feel so old b/c I go to sleep so freaking early and wake up at dawn. I know it’s because of the power situation, but it is kind of nice b/c I get to enjoy those little things that I miss out on in the USA. I think that’s what I like best about being out in the middle of nowhere in Africa; the little things. Things like the most fantastic sun sets and the most powerful sunrises. The way the sun bursts over the mountain tops, ripping through the clouds like an explosion of light. Then how the morning mist creeps over the hills as the sun starts to shine over every inch of this old cut down forest. Maybe, it’s the thousands of ants the cover the every inch of the path on the way to school, and how I say to myself every day, “This is really the ant’s world that were just living in.” Whatever they are, I’ll keep updating you on these little things as they happen, because they are all just truly magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment