Wednesday, October 28, 2009

One thing

There has been one thing that I have started to notice in Malawi that has really bothered me since the first day I arrived here. That thing is the way that most Indian (hindu) people treat the Malawians. My suspicions have been confirmed by several people now, that is why I share this tid bit now. The Indian people act like they are still living within their caste system. They treat the people of Malawi like dirt. They won’t talk to the Malawians or even act like they exist most of the time. The truly sad part about it, is that most of these Indian people came over to Malawi very poor, and now they have made some good money(most store owners in Malawi are Indian) they treat the people(Malawians) that accepted them(Indians) into this country like total garbage. I don’t know if that made since or not, but I just find it to be very sad and bothersome that these Indian people act like they are hot sh*t all the time. I know this is a problem in the US and all over the world. Not just with Indian people, but it is just so sad here. The night of Lawrence’s wedding while we were at the food court, I watched as these Indians just belittled a waiter for not picking up their empty drinks and keeping their table clean. It was disgusting behavior and if I was in Kansas City, I do believe I would have stood up and said something to the people, but since I’m 10,000 miles from home in an unfamiliar environment, I just felt it best to swallow my anger and stay seated.

No comments:

Post a Comment