Monday, October 12, 2009

Oct 9
It was a hot one today, it got up to 100. I went into town today; I finally got my bag and went shopping. Lawrence picked me up with his brother Grisom. We went and picked up our bags at the airport, had lunch, and shopped at the shop rite. I’d say more but the sun really drained me today. The temperature might not go past 105 where I am, but it reminded me of the good ol’ days on the Merriam crack seal team. It felt great to finally get out of my 5 day clothing selection and I’m super excited for my cold cup shower in the morning. I might go back into town tomorrow, there is a big world cup match tomorrow that has the Malawians buzzing with excitement. They play Ivory Coast at home. Their stadium holds 60,000, but Lo told me that FIFA will only let 25,000 tickets be sold b/c of safety issues. Needless to say im going to be there at the very top rocking with my Malawian brothers! Jk mom I think we are going to watch it from a bar or restaurant. Well that’s it for me tonight, dinner and bed.

Oct 10: Malawian Time,
Today has been a long uneventful day. I was hoping to get into town early in the day and be on the internet for at least 3 hours, I mean I need to check fantasy football and maybe write my mom and dad if time permits. Again just kidding mom. The van into town was supposed to arrive at 10, but like usual(from what I have been told) the van didn’t arrive till around 12:30. When the van did get to Amalika we left rather quickly only making a few stops until the van parked at the shop rite across from the stadium. The entire area was a disaster, there were people everywhere. All the Malawians were blowing those plastic horns, it was rather annoying. We drove around for the next 30 minutes trying to find a bar that showed the game and had internet. We went to Mustang Sally’s first b/c it is owned by an American. It’s funny how rude Americans can still be even 8,000 miles from home. When we asked the waitress if they had internet and if they were showing the game, the owner just said with disgust, “Does this look like an internet cafĂ© to you?” I wanted to say no sir it looks like a pretentious sh*thole in the middle of Africa, but I refrained. So we got back in the car and we came to Doogles lodge. No game, but they had advertised internet so I stayed and tried to connect. Unfortunately for me you get 5 free minutes, and after trying to check fb for one minute I tried to upload my 3 days of blogs and was cut off right after. Immediately after it said I needed to buy internet cards for this internet which they didn’t have. So I sat at Doogles for almost 90 minutes waiting for the game to be over. I tried to call Lawrence and see if he would pick me back up, and at the time I was annoyed that he wanted to finish the game, but as I think about it now, I came into town unannounced and the game was a very important event for Malawians. I am lucky Lawrence was able to pick me up in the first place and I think I just need to be more patient from now on. By the way African cell phones are awesome! Mine has 6 games and a bunch of other cool features, like a built in flash light! I got it for $25 US dollars, I do have to buy blocks of minutes, but it just makes you realizes how much we truly do get ripped off in the US for every little thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment